Visit the Spielwelt German Parents Association for more great children’s programs in German in Canberra
Before and After School Care
The German Australian Playschool (the GAP) operates under the ACT Government’s Playschool children’s services license, which allows 6 hours of schooling per day. Under this license arrangement, GAP provides classes 4-days a week from 9:30am to 3:30pm.
Need childcare before or after GAP hours?
Some families require childcare before or after GAP hours. Here is what some of our families suggest.
- engage an aupair or babysitter at your home
- enlist the help of grandparents
- ask the GAP Director to put you in touch with other GAP families living near you, and share the bringing and collecting of children
- arrange playdates with your child’s friends – taking turns to host the children after GAP (this can be done at the GAP venue or in the nearby playground or at each others’ homes)
- engage and share a German-speaking babysitter with other families, who cares for the children at the GAP venue.
German-speaking babysitters at GAP
Spielwelt can put you in touch with a German-speaking babysitter who can care for your child before or after GAP, on-site. (You are also welcome to find or suggest a suitable babysitter to add to our pool!)
How it works
Babysitters can take up to three children per session, and depending on demand there may be multiple babysitters working each session.
If there is a place available, parents book for a term and pay the babysitter directly. The babysitter in turn books the venue and reserves the child’s place.
The fees are set by the babysitter but the usual costs for a 10-week term are:
- $150 for mornings 8:30-9:15am
- $300 for afternoons 3:30-5pm.
The fine print
This is a private arrangement between your family and the babysitter. Spielwelt is only the facilitator. Babysitters don’t offer the childcare subsidy and don’t come under the Spielwelt insurance. To work with us, a babysitter must have a current Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) registration, but families should run their usual protocols for hiring babysitters.
If you are interested in being introduced to one of our German-speaking babysitters, please email email@example.com with your details and requirements.
If you would like to become one of our German-speaking babysitters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and WWVP card.